1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Should You Pull: Flier Buffs

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Locky, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Locky

Locky Moderator Staff Member

After that cavalry banner back then, we finally now have what we can call "the flier banner".

Minerva now has surpassed Lucina in terms of banner focus appearance, can you believe it. So much for Lucina being the face of Awakening, that game which possibly saved the franchise. There's Battling Michalis/Flier Boting Gauntlet/Life and Death/Bound Hero Battle/this banner.

But this is honestly THE HINOKA THIGHS hone flier BANNER.

Please feel free to comment and give feedback, and please inform me if I made any mistakes.

Minerva Not Ward Flier Fodder

HP 40 ATK 31 SPD 33 DEF 32 RES 22

This is Minerva's 5th banner, with only ninian ahead of her with 6 banners. And you thought Lucina was popular (she has 4 banners). Now, if you'll excuse me, I just need a few seconds to grab that post from M&M BHB and copy it here.

Stat-wise, she is a jack-of-all-trades except for res, with her stats closely resembling Camus, and Saber copying her stat distribution. She and her brother Michalis are literally one or two boon/banes away from sharing each others' stats (+Hp, +Atk, +Def or -Res Minerva would match Michalis in said respective stats, and -spd Minerva would equal +spd Michalis if he had IVs). That's a good chunk of statistical similarities (also noticeable in Archanea series) in spite of the antagonistic nature of their relationship and differences in ideologies and this little fridge brilliance still amuses me.

My personal amusement aside, while Camilla at 30 atk with brave axe is derided for her decidedly low atk not being a good match for brave axe, Minerva gets away with it at 31atk due to Hauteclere and naturally possessing Life and Death, both of which push her jack-of-all-stats bases to frightening speedy bruiser with still serviceable defense at 27. She has more flexibility than other green fliers in terms of whether you want her to provide offensive firepower or defensive plays.

Is Minerva a good unit out of the box? She was really good Pre-SI, and remains so in the Post-SI era even though there's Spring Camilla and Brave Cherche providing strong competition as fellow green fliers.

Is she reliant on flier buffs? No, she's quite capable of flying solo, but just like any other flier, said buffs will give her a noticeable boost in performance.

Is she good with skill investment? She's already good outside the box, any good skill investment will only serve to make her even better.

Is she good skill fodder? The infamous Life and Death, and perhaps Ward fliers, which is generally considered the least useful of flier buffs. Personally I think she brings more value as a unit than as a piece of fodder, but that also depends on your existing units. As much as this is called "flier boost" banner, you're not really pulling Minerva for Ward fliers.

Why You Would Want Minerva?:

Life and Death fodder aside, she is a strong contender for a place in flier emblem, even if you lack hinoka for hone fliers, or possess brave cherche and/or spring camilla. You like badass ladies who don't see a need to flaunt their assets and dress in full still unrealistic but awesome as fuck armor to war.

Why You Wouldn't Want Minerva?:

This is a good banner to go for her if you want to get flier emblem going alongside Hinoka. That or you already built Michalis getting sick of all those Minerva banners not giving you what you want.

Hinoka is Hone Flier Fodder

HP 41 ATK 35 SPD 32 DEF 25 RES 24

Suffice to say, Hinoka stat-wise is a +def -spd Cordelia who also comes with brave lance, but an extra hyped goodie - Hone Fliers. And thats really what makes her so wanted, because almost everything Hinoka can fight, Cordelia can do it better with that extra +3spd. If anything, Hinoka does hit that threshold where she can actually run semi-tanky builds with Fury 3 in her slot A that is not recommended on Cordelia.

Is she a good unit out of the box? She was really good Pre-SI, bu loses out to Cordelia, Tana and perhaps a fully built Est, so she's mostly considered Hone fliers fodder. Still a serviceable unt is is only slightly worse.

Is she reliant on flier buffs? No, she's quite capable of flying solo, but just like any other flier, said buffs will give her a noticeable boost in performance. Unfortunately for her, Hinoka wants to benefit from hone fliers, not carry it.

Is she good with skill investment? She's already good outside the box, any good skill investment will only serve to make her even better. As to whether she's actually worth the investment when Cordelia and Tana exists...mostly depends how much you love her thighs.

Is she good skill fodder? The infamous lone carrier Hone Fliers.

Why You Would Want Hinoka?

Hinoka HONEoka for HONE fliers. That is all. I hope nobody is daft enough to sack her for brave lance+...right?

Why You Wouldn't Want Hinoka?

Flier emblem does not interest you? If thats the case, why are you even here? Nah I understand, you think this is a bait banner for whatever spanking new banner shows up after Genealogy and Performing Arts banners go away.

Caeda is Fortify Flier Fodder

HP 36 ATK 25 SPD 37 DEF 24 RES 34

Caeda last showed up during battling navarre's banner, which is for all purposes, a pretty bad banner for red (but okay for Effie and Kagero),

She faces fierce competition in the red flier slot, even though there's really just 3 red fliers. Elincia is an incredible powerhouse with a legendary brave to boot, and Palla remains a decent flier and viable choice with niche - she can tank greens, which Elincia isn't always able to. What does Caeda do with 25 atk? Tank mages i guess, except she isn't even in a good color to do so with the prevalence of Reinhardts and the new introduction of another blue mage in Tailtiu who isn't meta due to the existence of Delthea and Linde (not even talking about blue horse mages).

Is she a good unit out of the box? kinda crappy unit who can't even beat units when she has weapon triangle advantage. She can't even kill armored units with armorslayer and can possibly die in retaliation due to her low def.

Is she good with skill investment? She can be, and requires alot of work compared to Palla and Elincia. With +atk IV, she is competent Palla's wo dao build with a 29 atk/37 spd distribution, with the addition of throwing out a hard-hitting iceberg, or doubling better for more moonbow procs.

She's like a flying Fir, she could also do with distant counter to fight mages, and has the speed to avoid doubles while hitting twice w/o the aid of quick riposte. But the question is, do you really want to do that when she's of the wrong color? Not to mention Camilla exists and is in a good color vs meta mages.

Is she good skill fodder? Fortify fliers. Thats all she has to offer. Darting blow can be found on florinas and tharjas. That being said, fortify flier is situational. While hone and goad are both universally desirable, the only fliers who will want fortify are bladetome mages and tanks, when most fliers are generally strong player phase units with subpar enemy phase capabilities.

Why You Would Want Caeda?:

She's your waifu. If she isn't it must be that fortify fliers fodder.

Why You Wouldn't Want Caeda?:

Easily the worst flier in this batch of 3, she is also the one red flier that requires the most amount of work to be viable, and it may not necessarily be worth it unless waifu.

Overall Banner Evaluation

Asides from that Caeda there, this is flying redhead banner for those whose fetish/waifuism go in that direction. Its also a good banner for thighs (not just Hinoka, Caeda and Minerva low key has some good thighs too). These girls can also do you the favor of carrying that guidance seal freshly minted from tempest. There isn't really a bad pull, and even if the girls do not secure a good boon/bane spread, they are really valuable fodder units, especially since Minerva and Hinoka are 5* exclusives, but ESPECIALLY HINOKA for DAT HONE FLIERS.

This is a good banner to get that flier emblem dream going, and for those who secured sCamilla and/or sCorrin but with no means to boost them so you can take off into the skies. Even if you're fresh off without any good fliers, just these 3 girls can form a 3-women core team and have a nice red/blue/green color balance.

For beginners, this banner is nice to pull but not top priority. I'd probably put Sigurd's Genealogy banner ahead of this one, but this is a nice 2nd banner to look into.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Evan, Mukimpo and tautet like this.
  2. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    [Grabs my Fire Emblem Heroes Forums Phone]

[Dials Locky's Number]

Phone: Dialing @Locky

Phone Alert: This call will cost $0.99/second.

Phone: Calling...

Me: LOCKY HURRY UP!!!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  3. Rayney_

Rayney_ Active Member

Got a 5 Star Peri on my free summon >_<
    Would have preferred Hinoka

4. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    When you think Locky replied to you, but it's just Rayney

:^)

Rayney_ likes this.
  5. Omuno

Omuno Member

Friend ID:
    Yes finally My flier Team :D HINOKAAAAAAA

6. Syrus

Syrus Active Member

Did ye free pull.

Not one blue, so I pulled red.

Hello Hinata. Arvis needs to speak with you

Rayney_ likes this.
  7. Mukimpo

Mukimpo Active Member

I got so many donels on this maybe i should start merging these donels

Evan likes this.
  8. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    Good job locky, you fixed ur typo.

On the flip side you owe me around 10.8k dollars

9. Evan

Evan Active Member

Friend ID:
    I love how waifu appears to be an actual factor here xD

So on my free pull I got Caeda.

Rayney_ likes this.
  10. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    Locky crossing out my own text without my consent.