1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Forging Seals - Getting the most out of your Sacred Coins!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Cloudedstrife, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Cloudedstrife

Cloudedstrife Bro Mod(e): Activate!!! Staff Member

Just by taking a quick look through the new update, I can already tell which seals are a great investment and which ones kinda fall flat.

Let's go over this rather quickly and I'll place them in a Tier/Worth list.

S Tier - These are probably the best seals to upgrade. They have a huge impact on the team/character you use them on.
    • Distant Defense: not much can be said. It's just amazing on any bait character. If you happen to have a Celica lying around for the Distant Defense skill, you can give one character +12 Def/Res before any other buffs are applied. That's just mindblowing.
    • Deflect Melee, Missile, Magic: These seals turn anyone into a semi-Brave Ike! Anyway, I'd say the ones that are most important are Magic and Missile (due to the meta Reinhardt and Bowlyn). I could see some really busted builds with any breaker set and these seals, such as Bow Breaker + Deflect Melee seal on a distant counter bait unit. However, don't discount the Melee one! They're all good.
    • Fortify/Hone: Right now we have Defense and Resistance but if they come out with Hone Atk/Spd at any point, they will fall in this category too. These will make any buff character amazing, especially for any characters that use Blade tomes. Eirika and Ephraim get even better, and so do Delthea and CYLucina! The reason these are S Tier and the Spur versions are A tier, is these buffs last all round and don't require wasting another chracter's turn positioning prior to combat to be effective.
    • Panic Ploy/Attack Ploy: These skills are already pretty good, but throw them on a seal so you don't have to waste a skill slot, and they become amazing! You can now create the ultimate debuff character! Just a reminder, debuffs do not stack! Atk ploy skill + seal will not work!
    • Speed/Squad Ace D +1-3: This seal could probably be in A Tier, but the Atk seal is better than B tier, so I had to find a way to prioritize this one, but it's WAYYYYYYY at the bottom of this S tier list. Anyway, yeahh.. the Attack seal is enticing, but if you think about it.. this seal could mean the difference between doubling or getting double attacked. That's a lot better than having 1 or 2 extra damage in most cases. Speed almost always takes priority.
    A Tier - The next best set of seals to upgrade once you have the S Tier ones. They have a marginal effect on the team/character you use them on.
    • Spur Atk/Spd/Def/Res: These seals are good, but they only if the wielder is adjacent to a unit and they only work IN combat, unlike Fortify/Hone which last all round. This would be ok if you really wanted to ramp up one certain buff on a character, such as Delthea, who could effectively buff +13 Atk with this seal if she's near her ally. In CYLucina's case, she'd buff +6 Spd and +7 Atk which is pretty good. Add support stat bonuses on top of that and it gets pretty crazy on buff stacking!
    • Attack +1-3: This is just a generally good seal. It adds extra damage and can fix some characters that have trash attack values and make them more viable especially if they already have a good speed stat.
    • Breath of Life: This can be executed VERY well and might actually be S Tier if used on certain characters such as Linde, P Olivia, P Inigo, P Shigure that have a Breath of Life effect also built into their weapon. Give them the Breath of Life skill and also this seal, and you're healing 21 damage to all adjacent units. That can be quite powerful if used correctly.
    B Tier - These would be the third set of seals to focus on. They are at least useful to a singular character in some situations.
    • Hardy Bearing: This seal is pretty cool, yet it's very situational. It's in A Tier only after you get it to level 3 since the HP threshold falls off. At early levels, it has an HP threshold requirement (that does get better as you level it up) and it requires the enemy unit to have a skill like Vantage or Desperation for it to function at it's best, however it does prevent you from using those skills as well. Lots of pros and cons.
    • Phantom Speed: This seal kinda falls directly in line with the Hardy Bearing seal at early levels. It's too situational to be great. It requires an enemy unit to have a skill that takes speed into account. Not very common.
    C Tier - These would be the fourth set of seals to focus on wayyyyyyyyy down the line. Nothing here is amazingly powerful.
    • +HP/Def/Res: Are they nice to have upgraded? Sure. Are they game breaking? Not even close. These skills are nice at base level. Don't waste your sacred coins on them unless you REALLY have a good build (maybe boosting Res for Ploy skills?) in mind or if you've upgraded every other skill on the list above them.
    • Squad Ace A, B, C: See directly above with +Hp/Def/Res.

Please let me know your opinion on this in the comments. You might change my mind as to where some of these should be placed!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    MitsuBlue23, tautet and OPhelia like this.
  2. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Friend ID:
    I'd swap Hardy Bearing -> A/S-Tier and Deflect Magic -> A-Tier.

Deflect Magic on DC really only works on Rein/Olwen (Dire Thunder) or if the mage is in Desperation range. Else there wont be any damage mitigation. Hardy Bearing on the other hand works on Desperation and Vantage and that is pretty common on Ikes, Hectors etc. and else might not be killed by ranged units.

3. Cloudedstrife

I put the deflect skills in A tier after realizing they don't work exactly like Urvan, so that makes a lot of sense.

As for Hardy bearing, it still has way too many factors to bump it to A Tier. It requires a Desperation type skill, and an HP threshold to be truly useful. Don't you feel that makes it B tier?

I'm open to debate on this, obviously.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Friend ID:
    As I understand, the HP threshold falls away on level 3 (came from Locky, haven't leveled it up but the %-text in the english version seems to be wrong). That way, you always go first against Vantage users and have a chance to hit back against a Desperation unit. It's a special purpose build, but it's def. A- maybe even S-Tier.

Cloudedstrife likes this.
  5. Cloudedstrife

Ahh see I missed that part. I figured it would have went HP threshold 75% and then 50%. Yeah, if it completely takes it away, then this is def at least A tier.

6. Rubi

Rubi Moderator Staff Member

I agree with most of your placements, except:
    • Spur atk / spd are important enough to be in S tier. Since they stack with hone atk / spd skills, you can make any unit give someone +8 atk / spd. (Note: Delthea can actually give someone 14 atk if you replace her drive atk with spur atk).
    • You sure deflect seals only works on brave weapons and not from all forms of consecutive attacks? I've asked on discord and people say it works on all consecutive. Anways, Deflect Missile is very good versus Brave bow or Firesweep bow lyn sets (since getting doubled by firesweep counts as consecutive).

7. xchan

xchan Active Member

Great guide Cloud!

I really want to buy and upgrade the new Deflect Magic seal so my Hector can counter kill Reindhart (assuming that's possible). I need the extra BST, so I can't really run the preferred raven+ta tome counter.

And speaking of BST, how many points do the updraded seals give for arena scoring? Is it better to upgrade one seal to tier 3 or 2 seals to tier 2? I need to raise my scoring for AA as I fell from the top 5k players this past 2 weeks.

8. Cloudedstrife

I do agree that it's fantastic to give someone an extra +4 Attack, but Spurs are typically worse than Hone/Fortify because you have to position units and sometimes put them into dangerous positions in doing so. This is actually why I prefer Drive Atk/Spd/whatever... the unit can stay safely away, and still buff and even have the unit be able to move a space away when attacking.

Yes, the buffs are nice, but Hone/Fortify are much easier and much better in general... and they last all round. This is why the spurs are def A Tier IMO.

9. Cloudedstrife

I'm not sure about this part yet. I didn't see any info on how much they add.

10. Locky

Locky Moderator Staff Member

to confirm :

1. Consecutive attacks count for all forms of consecutive attacks like Firesweep, you getting hit twice and cannot counter, desperation and even enemy phase quick riposte (if you hit once and they hit back twice), not just brave weapons. It is Brave Ike's Urvan all over again, but split into 3 different categories.
    2. New tier 3 seals (I have DD3) give a slight +2 for your arena scoring e.g. going from 694 to 700 to 696 to 702 for example.

11. Mukimpo

Mukimpo Active Member

Wait what did u mean by giving distant def seal to celica would stack with her own distant def?

12. Locky

Yes, distant def skill stacks with distant def seal for a whooping +12 def/res.

13. Mukimpo

Mukimpo Active Member

Omg celicaaa come to papaa

14. Cloudedstrife

If this is correct, the Deflect set are now moved back to S Tier. They are amazing!

15. xchan

xchan Active Member

Thank you Locky!!

With that confirmation, I will upgrade 4 seals to tier 2 first and then slowly updrade them to 3. I need those extra points so I can try to reach 4.9k in AA. Now to decide which ones. My team consists of Effie, Hector, Zephiel and Bike (will be Black Knight once he is fully trained and skilled).

16. Evan

Evan Active Member

Friend ID:
    I vouch for Breath of life Seal on Inigo and upgraded. Op healing

17. Rubi

Rubi Moderator Staff Member

@Cloudedstrife you should reword the Deflect Melee, Missile, Magic section, it's misleading. It doesn't only work on brave weapons, it works on any consecutive damages. Firesweep weapons, doubles that you cannot counter, etc. There is no difference between these seals and Urvan aside from the fact that Urvan covers all three (melee, magic and missiles).

18. Cloudedstrife

Will do!

19. Locky

@Cloudedstrife , pleas don't mind me necro-ing your thread, but just thought would be nice if you included the 3 new seals from holy war tempest in the list : guidance, brash assault, atk smoke.

20. Cloudedstrife

I was planning on updating it anyway haha

Anyway, I think all three of these seals are S Tier when they are at level 3.

I'm thinking about moving the Deflects Down to A Tier.