1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Spotlight: Merric, Wind Mage

Discussion in 'Heroes & Skills' started by Syntax, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Syntax

Syntax Member

Friend ID:
    [​IMG]

Merric Merric
    Infantry, Green Tome
    HP ATK SPE DEF RES
    Merric 48 40 32 28 19
    Nino 33 46 36 19 29
    Julia 38 49 26 17 35
    Cecilia 36 46 22 22 29

Merric is a mage whom, when compared to the other green tomes, boasts the highest HP pool, the highest defense, and the highest damage when faced against flying foes. Truthfully, Merric is a rather cut-and-dry unit. There isn't anything truly special about him that sets him apart from others, and while you might consider that he may tank a hit or two against others in the arena, it's a thought that is quickly dismissed when you go up against a red unit.

With that said, Merric's stats are still rather commendable. His speed is slightly above average, allowing him to attack twice in the same turn against a small pool of the other heroes, while surviving a majority of single-hits against him by merit of both his HP and DEF stats (although getting attacked twice is still rather common considering some of the fastest heroes are red). His HP and DEF stats are appreciated here since he has only the most basic form of movement, and making him a prime choice against archers with low RES, such as the ever popular Takumi.

His specials take a long time to charge. A long time. Both of the specials attack in a AoE around the targeted unit, so it can be thought of Merric attacking several units within the same turn, provided they're in a given area. I personally haven't found this skill particularly useful, as the stage is usually over and done with before Merric gets an opportunity to use his move. As for when he can use the move, the situation is never such that it would hit several units at the same time.

A nod has to be given to his bonus against flying units however. Merric may not have the highest ATK of his green counterparts, but it's still nothing to scoff at. Merric is very good at murdering even off-colour flying opponents, so he has a greater coverage of damage to the hero pool than the other green tomes may offer.

All in all Merric's not so bad! Generally a mage that can stand up against archers and take down anything that flies. If he's out of position, he's gonna die, but all mages are like that aren't they?

Pros:
    • Largest HP, DEF stats of the green tomes
    • Ranged, bonus against flying units, allowing for wider unit coverage
    Cons:
    • His Defense is low anyway!
    • Lowest RES of the green tomes
    • Long special charge
    Weapon Skills
    Wind
    Damage:
    Range:

Elwind
    Damage:
    Range:
    SP Cost:

Rexcalibur
    Damage:
    Range:

5 ★
    Excalibur
    Effective against flying units.
    Damage:
    Range:

Special Skills
    Rising Wind
    Before combat this unit initiates, foes in an area near the target take damage equal to (unit's Atk minus foe's Def or Res).
    Cooldown:
    5 Turns

Growing Wind
    Before combat this unit initiates, foes in a wide area around the target take damage equal to (unit's Atk minus foe's Def or Res).
    Cooldown:
    5 Turns
    SP Cost:

Passive Skills
    5 ★
    HP+3
    Grants +3 to max HP
    SP Cost:

5 ★
    HP+4
    Grants +4 to max HP
    SP Cost:

5 ★
    HP+5
    Grants +5 to max HP
    SP Cost:

5 ★
    Spur Res +2
    Grants adjacent allies Res+2 during combat.
    SP Cost:

5 ★
    Spur Res +3
    Grants adjacent allies Res+3 during combat.
    SP Cost:

5 ★
    Spur Res +4
    Grants adjacent allies Res+4 during combat.
    SP Cost:

From Series
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
    Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
    Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem
    Fire Emblem Awakening

Cloudedstrife likes this.
  2. friednublet

friednublet Member

Friend ID:
    I would never have expected a spotlight thread on an honestly mediocre character like Merric. It's very well written, but I think it also shows that Merric really doesn't have much to offer. Flyers are easily dealt with by great archers such as Setsuna, Jeorge and Takumi, and frankly there are other green mages that are just better options, like Nino and Julia. The only time I would see him being used is if someone really wanted a green tome user and he was the only one available.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Cloudedstrife and Syntax like this.
  3. Prime

Prime New Member

That's me lol. I really wanted blue lance. No particular reason, I just wanted to. So I have a 5 star Sharena after a lot of grinding. I have red infantry and running with elise healer. So I have a 5 star Merric I use for green. He gives me range and is my magic user. I would like a Nino or Julia but a lot of orbs later and no luck. I will say it's not pretty, but I can beat Takumi in arena with Merric's help.

4. Ryoma The High Prince

Ryoma The High Prince Active Member

Friend ID:
    Looking at this thread makes me feel old...

Ah, the good 'ol days of Fire Emblem Heroes, where your base kit was your only kit, and where you were lucky if your PRF had a base effect that WASN'T just a T2 skill...