1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Casual Player wants to "Get Good"

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chainhomelow, Dec 16, 2017.

1. chainhomelow

chainhomelow New Member

Friend ID:
    Hey everyone!

I pretty much have ever Fire Emblem game going back to...wow...the GBA? Been awhile.

I've always been a casual player but with FEH, something about this game just makes me want to get more "profesh." I read stuff about people beating Legion on Lunatic and could never do that in a million years. So I'm hoping joining this forum will allow me to meet new friends and learn stuff. Please friend me via my code if you like - 2088289259!

I guess right off the bat I'm curious if anyone could give me advice on where to start learning the more complicated stuff/mechanics about FEH. I'm in a weird spot, knowledge-wise. I know how the game works (i.e. weapons triangle, HOW to inherit skills, etc.) but I don't know anything more complicated than basics. So for example I've never beaten a level 40 training battle because my characters are just not strong. I level them to 40 then just move on to the next. I see screenshots where people have like pages of 5-star heroes and I have maybe like, 9, so I can't give them sweet builds with inherited skills from other 5 star units. I basically just use SP to give most of them the skills that come default because again, idiot casual player. I'm sitting on 105 orbs right now but don't know how to use them effectively.

So I guess my question is, is there a good place for me to start learning if I'm like...above beginning knowledge where I know HOW the game works but not how to play it well?

Anywho, nice to meet you all and I'm glad to be here!

2. Locky

Locky Moderator Staff Member

1. there's such thing as "budget builds", and e.g. the difference between QR2 and QR3 is only 3-5hp in practice so I assure people no 5* unit needs to die.
    2. You can start by showing us your barracks, telling us your general progress and things u can clear so we know where you are at, and what to work with.

My signature below does have a list of guides you can thumb through to see if it helps.

3. chainhomelow

chainhomelow New Member

Friend ID:
    1. That's a relief. For a second there I thought this was going to be a process where I'd have a decent team once I pulled enough 5* to inherit out skills in say...oh...40 years. I've seen budget builds on the Wiki which I'm trying to implement for some of my characters but wasn't sure how they stacked up to the "real thing." I also have fewer than half of the characters pulled at the moment so I'm limited there a bit.

2. Anyway, here are my barracks, thanks for the suggestion! I actually have 15 5*. Hooray!
    [​IMG]

Everything else by Level looks like this, with my 5* included.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Basically, up to this point, I've been leveling my guys to 40, using SP to give them their default skills, and then filling in the gaps with stupid stuff I THOUGHT made sense but really didn't. So for example I'd give Erika like, Chilling Wind or something as a special because I thought it was neat which now that I'm reading guides, is dumb as Hell.

With a lot of my characters I can beat 8th Stratum battles like, 75% of the time and 9th stratum like 40% of the time if I'm smart. A lot of this is me needing to learn better maneuvering (i.e. baiting) because my main thing I do in the game is play to level right now so I don't make teams based off the enemy composition but will mores make a semi-diverse team with essentially the same levels (e.g. 30) and then train them together until they hit 40, rinse repeat. Via your links I'm thumbing through some guides currently. I know what buffs, for example, ARE but not how to use them efficiently. Special maps above hard are impossible for me.

I collect SP regularly (read. training) but don't really know how to maximize SP gathering, which bites me in the butt when my guys hit 40. I'm holding off giving my newer characters any skills right now because I want to see if I can figure out a better build system.

I'm level 11 in the arena but I literally just fumble my way though arena battles. I've got some guides I'm reading through now that are helping me out (e.g. I was never using special characters and am now trying this low/low/low/40 combo for easier wins).

The tactics of this game are what make it so fun! I just feel like I'm missing a huge opportunity by not figure them out.

Thanks for your response, and for discussing with me!

Lauren

4. XRay

XRay Active Member

Friend ID:
    One of the best ways to master Fire Emblem Heroes tactics is to watch a Tier 20 Arena player with a similar play style as you and then practice what they do.

In my opinion, if you do not have an ingrained play style yet, mastering a hyper offensive play style will give you the most bang for you buck in the shortest amount of time.

A hyper offensive team requires one Dancer/Singer and two ranged units, and they should all be a different color. BH!Lyn, Cecilia, and Olivia are all free. Make sure they are all at least 4* and level 40. They should learn their default skills unless stated otherwise. Skills in red should be inherited immediately. I also highly recommend giving Summoner Support to BH!Lyn and have BH!Lyn and Cecilia Support each other.

BH!Lyn needs:
    Brave Bow from Gordin (the regular non "+" version is fine for now)
    Hone Cavalry from Gunter
    Reposition from Barst or Selena
    Luna from Frrederick
    Ignore Attack Smoke.

Cecilia needs:
    Gronnblade from Nino (the regular non "+" version is fine for now)
    Life and Death from Hana (tier 2 is fine for now)
    Reposition from Barst or Selena
    Hone Cavalry from Gunter
    Ignore all her default skills.
    Olivia needs:
    Ruby Sword from Stahl (the regular non "+" version is fine now)
    Ignore Silver Sword and Knock Back.

Once you have that set up, I recommend watching this video by Phoenixmaster1. I recommend practicing battles with your team in Arena Assault since it does not use up any Stamina.

Edit:
    Never mind BH!Lyn. Just saw that you picked BH!Ike. I would replace BH!Lyn in that set up with Reinhardt if you are still going for the hyper offensive play style. Reinhardt should have Death Blow and Hone Cavalry inherited as soon as possible.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  5. Evan

Evan Active Member

Friend ID:
    You’re totally in the right spot. The people on this website are some of the best at this game. (Not me though) I didn’t know a lot about the game until I got on this site, and I think I’ve gotten a lot better. and not just because I dropped cash

There’s a lot of easy to get characters that can be good like Nino. You really should get Bow Lyn as soon as you have a chance, but Brave Ike is very good. You can run him with Beorcs blessing and basically the default build, although I run him with d.c. and vantage.

Effie is really good too if you need a strong lance user. If you wanna use Effie and go armor emblem, you could try pulling on the upcoming Christmas banner.

6. OPhelia

OPhelia Active Member

Barst with 15 res on merged version with chilling wind. You need help, dude.

First of all stop wasting characters like this. Barst is excellent Reposition fodder, and a terrible unit to use (outside of rare occasions where a 4*40 unmerged neutral Barst can help solve you a map, copying a solution video of f2p / low investment teams).
    Reposition is the most desirable assist skill for tanky melees and will improve your gameplay a lot (the game is a lot more about positioning than triangle advantage imo).

Secondly what does your inventory look like? For start it's just important to keep on farming, especially Orbs and Feathers, but also all other available ressources. Play arena and arena assault at least once per season, if necessary on beginner difficulty and a non-deathless run, some rewards are better than none. Try to solve all quests, unlock/upgrade seals, get all the free units, etc...

Then if you have a decent amount of ressources you can really boost some of the units of which you think they suck now to great heights.
    It takes a while but is definitely worth it for some units with good IVs.

7. Locky

oh dear, we have lots of work to do.

1. Stop carelessly merging 3* and 4* units. You have merged mediocre units who are good fodder to give their skills away. Notably, Barst, arthur, Gunter, Gordin and many more. Their skills are much more valuable being on other units than on their own shitty stats.
    2. There are 3 schools of specials based on stats, Atk, def and res. You pick a special based on your units best stat, so res-based special on Barst is just stupid, sorry to say so. Chilling wind/iceberg/glacies should go to units with high resistance. Do take the time to read skill descriptions. It'll save you alot of headache and stupid mistakes.
    3. Don't randomly raise units. Raise with an intention in mind for a certain build and purpose. There is literally no point in raising the 1* and 2* versions of felicia and hana. The game gives you at least 3* versions, which can potentially have better IVs than the neutral ones. If uncertain, just raise the 5* units first!
    4. Special maps now have the "warriors maps" aka the ones with Camilla, Hinoka etc, use those to build Sp and raise units.
    5. Get your 3 Askr units Anna, Sharena and Alfonse at least 4* to complete quests associated with them for more rewards.

8. chainhomelow

chainhomelow New Member

Friend ID:
    Thanks for the explicit builds Xray! I'm going to do those verbatim and I'm watching those Phoenixmaster Videos now and their fun as shit and helping me out. I appreciate your feedback.

Evan this is weird but do you find you need to do stuff like drop 100+ orbs on a single banner to get good characters like I'm seeing in some of these videos? I haven't spent a single dollar on this game yet but I'm willing to because I love it so gd much.

OPhelia: I'm seriously god-awful horrible at this game. This was my mindset prior to like, a week ago: "Barst is level 40 and has no special and I HAVE chilling wind and he looks like a cool guy so HERE YOU GO BUDDY!" Like for example, I do not know this stuff about reposition so that's amazing new knowledge to have.

My inventory is kinda shit right now because I used some of it to recently level my Nino to 5* and to make a ton of sacred seals when I unlocked the forge because I got excited. I'm currently sitting at:
    109 orbs
    3246 hero feathers
    20 sacred coins (because I spent like 200 2 days ago)
    115 refining stones
    1638 arena medals
    and a decent number of shards because I've just been accumulating them

I play the arena daily but didn't think arena assault gave you anything so I'll start doing that. I did all the normal quests and paralogues.
    Any other tips or tidbits I will soak like water.

You guys are all marvelous. This is so great to be able to learn from you all like this. Thanks so much.

EDIT: Thank you Locky, this is so helpful!
    In your opinion at this point do you think it would be a better move to trash the whole account and start over? I haven't dropped any money on the game and was most playing for character collection so I'm willing to start from scratch.

9. Locky

1. I once saved 400+ orbs for a little over 2 months as a f2p player and I DID NOT GET what I was going for on a SINGLE banner. Said banner gave me 8 off-focus banner units.
    2. Would help to know which seals you made/enhanced, and how have you been using them. We can make suggestions from there.
    3. Even if you are subpar in arena, do make it a point to do 3 arena assault fights for daily rewards. To make it easier on yourself, bring only 1 unit for the 1st fight, pick beginner and you get a 1 vs 1 fight that should be easy. Your arena assault fights are pegged based on the 1st one so you should make the other 6 easy.
    4. I would not start using refine stones until you get the hang of your gameplay style and know who are your regulars.
    5. There are two things to note about gameplay style, namely player phase (offense) vs enemy phase (defense) or mixed, as well as team formations e.g. infantry, flier, dragon, horse, armored or mixed teams. I suppose as someone sorta new to the complicated aspects of the game, you should just mix your best 5* units for now and see how it flows for you.

Evan likes this.
  10. chainhomelow

chainhomelow New Member

Friend ID:
    Noted and noted. Generally I've just been doing one full summoning circle per banner and that's it. I'm watching some videos on how to optimize 5* hero pulls which are interesting. I figured at my current level - I only have 83/195 possible heroes - it would still behoove me to pull all color orbs to try to get more different heroes. Is this true in your guys' opinion, or should I stick to trying for 5* and focus and like, not summon from certain color orbs if they have lower pull rates for focus characters?
    Ahhhhhh right. I've got:
    1. HP+3
    2. Attack +1
    3. Speed +2
    4. Fortify Res 1
    5. Panic Ploy 2
    6. Deflect Magic 2
    Amazing. Thank you.
    Absolutely will do.

Wow, thank you again. This is all exactly what I was hoping for when joining. You're really great.

11. Evan

Evan Active Member

Friend ID:
    NOOO you don’t need to spend any money at all to git gud. Locky is one of the best players on this forum and he hasn’t spent any money, and there’s several others on here who don’t spend any money. You do need to save free orbs and think about what characters you might want, but even when you beat all the stories, they still give you a very fair amount of free orbs. You should be able to get a handful of good characters for free, plus theirs things like grand hero battles. I used Camus and Legion on my main team for a long time and they’re both free.

12. Locky

Thanks Evan, though that's an exaggeration and I'm far from the best. To add to Evan's point on free units, Michalis is still one of my main units for about 9 months running and I do terrible things like this.

Anyway, lets look at the seals
    1. HP+3
    2. Attack +1
    3. Speed +2
    4. Fortify Res 1
    5. Panic Ploy 2
    6. Deflect Magic 2
    Notes

1. It would be good to focus on making a seal tier 3 than split your resources among multiple seals, after all, your team is a team of 4, not 6. When you have your regulars kitted out and capable of at least lunatic content and quests for rewards, do you have the luxury (as well as resources and currencies) of exploring and fiddling around. I would suggest working on Spd+2 to +3 first. Its universally easy to use by many units and handy in practically all content. It may be a basic seal that isn't incredibly strong but it does work.

2. I didn't upgrade panic ploy beyond 1 because all it does is decrease the HP gap necessary to activate, and that +5 hp can easily come from maxed summoner support, which will not show up on enemy teams that you encounter, so there's your 5 hp advantage. HP is another I would not upgrade at all because there are many seals that are better.

Evan likes this.
  13. XRay

XRay Active Member

Friend ID:
    Spending money helps, but it is unnecessary unless you are aiming to stay in Tier 20 with little to no effort. As a free player, you should have no problem getting into Tier 18 and Tier 19. I would not worry too much about which units are good right now; once you master your chosen play style, your opinion on what makes a unit good will change. For example, I personally consider most melee units to be complete, utter trash and I would never ever use them unless it is for fun; scoring; and filling in the gaps in Arena Assault teams. I would also take all tier lists with a grain of salt since they are subjective; the Heroes community currently do not have the resources to build a proper objective tier list based on usage statistics unlike Smogon for Pokémon.
    Dancers/Singers: Azura, PA!Azura, PA!Inigo, Ninian, Olivia, PA!Olivia, PA!Shigure
    Ranged Cavalry: Cecilia, Leo, BH!Lyn, Olwen, Reinhardt, Ursula
    Staff Cavalry: Elise
    Ranged Fliers: SF!Camilla, NS!Corrin, TOD!Nowi
    Red Mage Infantry: Arvis, Celica, Katarina,
    Blue Mage Infantry: Delthea, Linde, Lute, Mae, Tailtiu,
    Green Mage Infantry: NS!Elise, Nino, Rhajat, Sonya, Soren
    Bow Infantry: BB!Cordelia, YS!Gaius, Innes, Jeorge, Klein, Leon, Takumi
    Trainee Dragons: Fae, Nowi, Y!Tiki
    Blue Mage Infantry (They have low Attack but decent Speed.): BB!Caeda, SF!Lucina
    Triangle Adept Mage Infantry: Deirdre, Julia, NS!Leo, Lilina, Raigh, Sanaki,
    Raven Mage Infantry: Boey, Henry, Merric, Odin, F!Robin, M!Robin, Sophia
    Guard Bow Infantry: Clarisse, Faye, Gordin, Virion
    Dagger Infantry: Kagero, YS!Frederick, Gaius, Jaffar, TOD!Sakura
    Bowbreaker Dagger Infantry: Saizo, Matthew
    Ranged Armor: TOD!Henry, TOD!Jakob, WE!Tharja
    Buff: Eirika, Ephraim
    Staff Cavalry: Clarine, Priscilla
    Falchion Medic: Alm, Chrom, Lucina, Lucina!Marth, Marth
    Buff: BH!Lucina
    Candlelight Infantry: Azama, Genny, Lachesis, Lissa, Lucius, BB!Lyn, Maria, Mist, Sakura, Serra, Wrys
    Arena Assault Team 1: Amelia
    Everyone Else
    (I am not going to waste time ranking garbage. Basically, units with high magical bulk are better than units with low magical bulk, as those units can run Gem Weapons and Distant Counter to take down mages in Arena Assault. Cavalry and fliers are better than infantry, and infantry are better than armor. Felcia, Jakob, Niles, and Rebecca fit somewhere in here.)

I would save any 1* or 2* units left if you still have them. They have neutral natures that you might need for copying strategy videos on YouTube. I would save the 1* version over the 2* version since they will have more SP once they get to 4* level 40. I would also save any 3* units that have a neutral nature since most of them have been available for free at one point or another so some videos may utilize them. I would also keep at least one copy of each unit with the best nature since you need as many units as possible for Arena Assault later.

14. Mukimpo

Mukimpo Active Member

Imho my top picks for u are:
    (Based on current meta)

Reindhart (blue): Your slap death blow on your reindhart (from klein 4*) and you got a killing machine there

Brave ike (green): slap reposition and leave the rest, very good tank and handles ranged users as if they are minions

Olivia (red): nurture Her up to 5* and give wings of mercy, dancers can do wonders

Genny (colorless) she can actually kill while being able to heal

Thie above lineup should be a great start i believe

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  15. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    Normally I would have spam copied pasted my How To Get Good Guide, but instead, I'll spam copy paste the guide that another forum member made that's almost completely better than mine in every way.

16. chainhomelow

chainhomelow New Member

Friend ID:
    So I'm trying to get a better handle on inheritance because that seems to be a big weak spot for me. I pulled about 8 characters recently and I'm gonna keep my new 5* Leo (really happy about that one because it's a 5* and new) but can get rid of pretty much everything else because they're doubles. Here's what I pulled.

• 3* Odin
    • 4* Virion, Lissa, Shanna, Subaki, Chrom, Subaki (again)
    • 5* Reinhardt
    I have a bunch of questions though.
    0. Are some character pull rates higher than others because I have less than half the total spread of characters yet somehow have like 9 FUCKING SUBAKIS
    1. Are there rules of thumb for best IV spread for units or is it character specific? I have all these characters already (except Odin and I kinda want to keep him just to have him until I get a better one even though he is only 3*) but the first Subaki I trained to lvl 40 was -HP/+Atk and these new idiots are +HP/-Atk and -HP/+Spd. Same idea for Shanna and the rest of the gang. Should I put in the effort to level new guys if their IVs are more...'correct?' And if so what are the best IV for these dudes?
    2. Is it even worth it to inherit from 3* units? What do you guys normally do with 3*? Send them home for feathers? I have a decent amount and don't know what to do with them. Do I use them to inherit low level skills so I don't have to waste 'Hone Speed 1' inheritance on a 4* guy? I'm not sure that makes sense, though, because 4* guys rarely have highest level skills right? Maybe I'm wrong.
    3. My new 5* Reinhardt can be fodder because it's +Spd and my current babby 5* Reinhardt I spent feathers to make is +Atk so he's my precious boy and this other guy can get gone. It's the first 5* I can actually use for inheritance and I DO NOT want to fuck this up. Would he be best utilized with any character I have currently or should I wait?

17. Gaodzilla

Gaodzilla Bye.

Friend ID:
    1. Character specific, you don’t want a +sod Reinhardt because it’s nt salvageable. All Units have at least some strong stats, and you want to use them to their fullest potential.

2. Not much, you can get some really useful Assist skills, but besides that, there’s not a lot to choose from.

3. Reinhardt doesn’t really have any good skills to fodder. You can get his C slot from more available units, and Vantage cam be found on Lon’ Qu. His special is bad and his weapon is ununheritabld, so no.

18. Locky

1. Your first -hp + atk Subaki is fine, forget the rest. There are some guidelines though certain units work with sets of IVs, e.g. everyone but Azama likes +atk, speedsters want +spd, and tanks want +def or res whichever they excel at. And nobody minds a loss in HP.

I used to have over a dozen barsts, but they all died for reposition. Subaki is pretty good fodder, so keep him to give away swap and quick riposte 2.

I will also counter that the only Reinhardt who is not salvageable is -atk. Every other reinhardt works otherwise.

2. I use 2k feathers to make 3* into 4* to feed the full skill. Actually, for the common skills like Hone speed, desperation etc, there is a 4* unit with maximum lvl 3 for said abilities. Most units usually have one skill they can transfer tier 3 at 4*, and one skill they transfer tier 2 at 4* (and hence lvl 3 at 5*). Michalis is special - everything on him is 4* except hauteclere.

3. Just merge Reinhardt. Goad cavalry isn't from "more available" units like Gaodzilla mentioned. the only other unit is Camus, who is a limited GHB unit.

19. OPhelia

OPhelia Active Member

You should look up which characters have valuable tier 3 skills on 4*.
    Also take a look at Specials.
    You can always raise 3* to 4* if the 4* version has a valuable skill to fodder.
    - Reinhardt is for merges (the +atk on should be the base / on the left side while merging)
    - Odin is fodder: Blarblade, Moonbow
    - Virion is send home or merge on 4* for the lolz, he will not be very useful though
    - Lissa is a healer, I don't really know how the recent changes to their skills changed user behavior, but I merged mine on 4* before and she can still learn 5* stuff if I merge a 5* Lissa down on the 4*s later on (if I ever feel like doing so).
    - Shanna is for inheritance: Desperation 3, Iceberg (Desperation more valuable/rare to get)
    - Subaki is QR2 fodder, can be promoted to 5* for high investment QR3 fodder, QR2 is enough on budget builds though
    - Chrom is send home or promote to 5* if you need a falchion user for TT or something

You gotta look up each character and just memorize which are valuable.

20. Locky

Aether fodder works too.