1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave Ephraim IV suggestions

Discussion in 'Heroes & Skills' started by Marth Vader, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Marth Vader

Marth Vader New Member

I’ve pulled two B!Ephraims so far, both with very mediocre IVs. Hopefully I’ll pull another with something better, but I’d like to get thoughts on the ones I already have.

One of these is +hp/-spd. The +hp is probably the worst boon I could get, but the -spd is undoubtedly the best bane. I’d even go as far to say that -spd is beneficial on B!Ephraim, since it further ensures the enemy will get two hits instead of one so a 4 count special is guaranteed to trigger every combat. That said, the hp boon is still a bummer. The only redeeming quality there is that, rarely, it might mean the difference between the 50% threshold of Garm and Special Fighter 3’s effects.

The other is +atk/-def. As sexy as 41 base atk may look at first glance, I don’t know if it counters the insult that is -def. Two reasons for this: A; I intended to run a build with ignis. The -def would obviously lower the damage output dealt by ignis, on top of the fact that I will take more damage. B; Units with Fighter skills are already very dependant on special triggers. Since specials deal a huge percent of the damage on these guys, the +3atk is far less important since ignis deals damage based on defense and not attack. Yes, I know I could run Dragon Fang for the same +30 damage based upon base stats, but keep in mind Ephraim has Close Defense 3 and all units on my armor team run Ward Armor, adding +18 to defense and thus +15 to ignis, and even more if I give him SS Close Defense 3.

I’m sure it’s clear I’m leaning more towards the +hp/-spd one, but I’d like some other opinions for this one. Is the +atk/-def Ephraim salvagable? If so, how? If not, what should I do with him? My first instinct is to merge, but Special Fighter 3 may have some uses on other units.

2. Rubi

Rubi Moderator Staff Member

Few things:
    -spd might not be his best bane, becuase it's what's known as a superbane. It decreases his spd stat by 4 instead of 3. A superbane locks Ephraim outside the 175 BST bin, which means he cannot score as well in arena scoring. On the other hand, a res boon is a superboon, it gives him 4 res extra instead of 3. A +Res -(non spd) will result in a 175 BST Ephraim. (I'm willing to elaborate if you're unfamiliar with the arena scoring jargon, just ask)

The other is: Ignis deals an extra 80% of your def, right? And 80% of 3 def = 2.4. The math rounds down to 2 extra dmg. But 3 extra atk is just that: 3 extra dmg. So in terms of damage, Atk is always the better option. I do agree with you however that -Def hurts.

In the end, I think +Atk -Def is the better choice here. You receive more damage but will also deal more. Having a +HP boon is, as you mentioned, rather useless.

As to what happens to the other Ephraim you probably want to merge him. Special Fighter isn't very useful on armors who cannot double enemies. Garm took care of that for Ephraim.

3. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Friend ID:
    Even at -Def, he still hits 34. I always favor +Atk when applicable because I like to kill stuff. I'd go +Atk and kill away.

4. Locky

Locky Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to agree with those two and pick +atk IV as well. But I would keep special fighter fodder for the small handful of armors who could actually get use out of it e.g. Amelia, LA Lyn, Halloween henry and +spd Zelgius are fast enough to not mind the loss of guaranteed double from inheriting bold fighter instead since they can double a good chunk of the cast on their own with some buffs.

5. Marth Vader

Marth Vader New Member

The fact that -spd is a superbane is a very good point. I completely forgot how that would affect arena scoring.

It’s a shame about the -def, but having read this it feels like he’s the better option. Especially considering that special fighter gives +1 special charge on both when the unit attacks and takes damage. I figured it behaved like the other fighter skills instead of the breath line. Since that’s the case, it would still be able to trigger a 4 count regardless of whether the enemy doubles or not, so -spd may not be the advantage I thought it was.