1. Post a guide TODAY and enter our monthly Guide Contest for a chance to win $15!

For more details click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Best AOE Special?

Discussion in 'Heroes & Skills' started by Nankaina, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Nankaina

Nankaina Member

I know a lot of people don't like/use them, but the possibility of a 3x attack (or, in a quad build, as many as a 5.5x attack) makes all the Growing and Blazing specials some of my favorites. Each one has its own area of effect; certain ones like Blazing Thunder create a straight line, while Growing Wind covers a whole box around the foe. So, in terms of practical use, what do you think is the most useful AOE?

2. OPhelia

OPhelia Active Member

I did a mini guide on those https://fireemblemheroesforum.com/threads/aoe-dmg-specials.580/

IMO they're dependent on 3 things:
    1: Map environment, what AoE shape fits best the most likely enemy path (is there a long wall that forces enemies to walk in a vertical/horizontal line?)
    2: Enemy team composition, move types and buffs/heals (will influence in what pattern enemies stand next to each other most likely (if they do at all))
    3: Your ability to force enemies to do specific movements to make them fit your patterns via baiting, enhanced by skills that can reposition enemies (Lunge, Drag Back, Knock Back...)

This being said I think the Wind AoEs are the most easy to hit multiple enemies with under average conditions.

QuickBit likes this.
  3. Ragnell_Slayer

Ragnell_Slayer Active Member

Friend ID:
    I would go wit blazing wind.

4. QuickBit

QuickBit Active Member

Friend ID:
    I'll agree with you, blazing winds good, but don't forget unit types! Mages/archers do well with blazing winds, but I've had better experience with blazing lights on melee units. The ability-unit overlap can sometimes make the ability just a tad bit worse when trying to get the most damage out of your skill.

These are some of the most underrated skills in the game (IMO), and with passives and seals coming out to help reduce cooldown (and even work around the vantage issue these skills have(firesweep)); I hope we'll be seeing more and more of them!

OPhelia likes this.
  5. Nankaina

Nankaina Member

Thank you so much, everyone! From my experience with Soren, I'll definitely agree that Winds work well with magi, and with Xander/Camus, that light is usually more effective than Thunder. And @OPhelia, I've never seen Growing Thunder! Impressive, and nice guide.

6. XRay

XRay Active Member

Friend ID:
    Blazing Wind will do well in almost any situation since enemy units are more likely than not to clump together.

7. Ragnell_Slayer

Ragnell_Slayer Active Member

Friend ID:
    I have blazing wind on Sharena. It's never been a burden. It was a good decision.